Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Owner: Ex-HRH Duke of Westminster
(click on the picture for larger version)
|The Duke of
Westminster in the driver's seat of a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost in 1914.
The Duke formed the 1st armoured division and this car was used on the
Western front in the same year
Fleet of Rolls-Royce Phantom IV, V Owner: in trust by The Queen of England as Sovereign for her successors and the Nation
Can be seen at Buckingham Palace - London (click on the picture for larger version)
|Whenever Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth II or other members of the Royal
family travel on official engagements, then almost certainly at least
part of the journey will include the use of a Rolls-Royce motor car.
Often one or more of the State fleet of cars will be sent ahead to be
available at the destination. Even when visits abroad involved the use
of the Royal Yacht Britannia, a Rolls-Royce used to travel on board in
it's own specially constructed garage. (see picture below)
The first Rolls-Royce State car, The Queens original Phantom IV was designed to carry the unique mascot of St George slaying the dragon. This mascot could be transfered to any one of the mixed fleet of State cars in the Royal Mews. On the right is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's mascot,
|Britannia atop the
globe, which was originally made for King George V's Royal Daimlers.
It was Queen Victoria's son the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) who became the first member of the Royal family to ride in a motor car. This was a Daimler belonging to Lord Montague. Not unnaturally when The Prince ordered his first car it was a Daimler, 6-horsepower, 2-cylinder model with coachwork by Hooper. By the time of his Coronation in 1902, he had no less than 4 motor cars - all Daimlers.
The Daimler company of Coventry continued to supply cars for the Sovereign untill well into the reign of the
following her accession in 1952, there came a gradual move from the
products of Coventry to those of Crewe. In 1955, after 3 years of
satisfactory service by Rolls-Royce cars on official duties, and in the
wake of much discreet manoeuvring, the company was finally granted the
right to display the Royal Coat of Arms together with the words 'By
appointment to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II motor car
Within 5 years Rolls-Royce were supreme in the field, having successfully challenged Daimler's 60 year lead as Royal Warrant holders. And Rolls-Royce continue to hold that honour to this day.
Rolls-Royce have supplied numerous members of the Royal family with cars other than the Sovereign.
Rolls-Royce Phantom VI Mulliner Park Ward Limousine, 1978, #PGH101
State and private motor cars are housed in the Royal Mews.
For official duties - providing
transport for State and other visitors as well as The Queen herself -
there are eight State limousines, consisting of five Rolls-Royces and
three Daimlers. They are painted in Royal maroon livery and the
Rolls-Royces uniquely do not
have registration number plates. The most important State car is the
Rolls-Royce Phantom VI, presented to The Queen in 1978 for her Silver
Jubilee by the
Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders. The oldest car in the fleet
the Phantom IV, built in 1948, 5.76 litre with a straight eight engine
a Mulliner body. There is also a 1987 Phantom VI and two identical
V models built in the early 1960s.
The 1978 Phantom VI and the two Phantom V models have a removable exterior roof covering,
|which exposes an inner lining of
perspex, giving a clear view
passengers. These cars all have fittings for the shield bearing the
Coat of Arms and the Royal Standard. The Queen has her own mascot for
on official cars. Designed for her by the artist Edward Seago
form of St George on a horse poised victorious over a slain dragon, it
made of silver and can be transferred from car to car as necessary. The
of Edinburgh's mascot, a heraldic lion wearing a crown, is adapted from
For her private use The Queen drives a
Daimler Jaguar saloon or a Vauxhall estate (like every other qualified
driver, The Queen holds a driving licence). The Duke of Edinburgh has a
Range Rover and, for short journeys round London, uses a Metrocab. The
private cars are painted Edinburgh green.
A number of Royal Mews vehicles have now been converted to run on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) - a more environmentally friendly fuel than petrol or diesel. Converted vehicles include one of the Rolls-Royce Phantom IVs, a Daimler and The Duke of Edinburgh's Metrocab
|1954 Rolls-Royce Phantom IV Owner: HRH Princess Margaret|
|In 2008 was the
chance to buy the "Rolls Royce of Rolls Royces," a pristine 1954
Phantom IV H.J. Mulliner Limousine, and one of only 18 built. This
particular example belonged to Princess Margaret, the only member of
the British Royal family known to have engaged in a life-or-death
struggle with her breakfast. Phantom IVs were only available for
purchase to royalty or heads of state, and came equipped with a
5.7-liter side-valve straight-eight and the all-important four-bottle
Princess Margaret's Phantom IV was a gift from Queen Elizabeth II, who had just purchased herself a Rolls Royce Phantom IV Hooper landaulette; she wanted Margaret to have a Phantom IV H.J. Mulliner limousine, just like her first one.
|1963 Rolls-Royce Phantom V Propriétaire: Ex-HRH Edward Duke of Kent|
Phantom V, formerly owned by the H.R.H. Edward, Duke of Kent, in
Curently in Mohamed Al Fayed's car collection
Introduced in the autumn of 1959, Rolls-Royce's new 6,230cc all-alloy V8 engine powered the Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2 sedans as well as the Rolls-Royce Phantom V. The new Phantom V long-wheelbase limousine effectively replaced both the royalty/heads of state-only Phantom IV and the Silver Wraith. The latter's relatively short - for a limousine - wheelbase had made it all but impossible for coachbuilders to provide adequate boot space in a comfortable seven-seater automobile, a shortcoming addressed by the Phantom V. Built on a much-modified and strengthened 'Cloud II chassis enjoying the same 145" wheelbase as the IV, the new Phantom measured almost 20ft in length and enabled coachbuilders to combine the desirable qualities of spacious interior accommodation with generous boot space and graceful lines. A lower final drive ratio ensured that, while top speed was a little down on that of its stablemates, though still in excess of 100mph, the new Phantom could all but match them for acceleration. Rolls-Royce's in-house coachbuilder H J Mulliner, Park Ward Ltd produced what was in effect the 'standard' seven-passenger limousine coachwork for the Phantom V.
This Phantom has the distinction of having been in the Royal household, being owned previously by H.R.H. Edward, Duke of Kent. It was in his use and service up until November 1996 during which time it was kept in good order by the Rolls-Royce London Service Centre. In their hands it had received a new engine in 1989 and just prior to its being sold it had undergone extensive restoration work, including new rear springs. While in his custody, the car was in Mason's Black livery with a fawn leather and cloth interior, which included a Cartier clock on its division, naturally it carried the blue bullet lamp in the centre of its roof signifying its Royal ownership, and had provision for the Royal Standard. The car was sold at public auction in 1996, being acquired by the current owners for the same rationale as for the Phantom VI in that it was an extremely good example and hence a fine basis for future use in service.
On acquisition it was also comprehensively refurbished with new Harrods Green paintwork, faux basket weave to the sides of the car, a fawn ever-flex roof, retaining the Royal blue light, and dummy pram irons on the rear quarters. The interior was re-worked at the same time with dark green leather and cloth and updated with then current communications technology. The specification was incredibly lavish and generally an up-to-date technical aspect combined with cosmetics that gave a general nod to the centuries old coach-building customs.
Today, the car remains in immaculate order having been used infrequently and not as much as was originally intended.
|Rolls-Royce Phantom IV Propriétaire: Ex-HRH Duke of Gloucester|
|Rolls Royce Phantom
Built for HRH The Duke of Gloucester.
It was used in the 1966 film Arabesque with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren.
Rolls-Royce Silver Spur Owner: Volo auto museum. Famous to
have carried HRH Princess Lady Diana
The car has been offered on auction on the 12th August 2008 and bids went up to $51.100 US Dollars.
The car was not sold as the reserve was not met
|1996 ROLLS ROYCE SPUR III PRINCESS DIANA
June, 1996, Princess Diana exits a British Airways jet for what would be her last trip to the United States. Princess Diana’s visit to Chicago raised $1.4 million and was split up between 3 women’s cancer charities; Northwestern’s Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center, Gilda’s Club and London’s Royal Marsden Hospital. As per request of the British Consulate, a Rolls Royce Motorcar was needed for the conveyance of Her Royal Highness.
This 1996 Spur III was ordered new, specially for the Princess. She was picked up on the airport tarmac in this Rolls-Royce and traveled throughout Chicago for 3 days, interacting with the people proving why she is the “Queen of people’s hearts”. At her final destination, the steps Diana took from this Rolls-Royce to her return flight home were the last steps she will ever take on US soil.
Since the use by H.R.H. the car was purchased by a woman who appreciated its connection with the princess. The car was seldom driven and has only 19k actual miles. The museum acquired the Rolls Royce for display and to help effort’s started by the princess many years prior. The museum along with the premier unveiling of the Rolls-Royce helped raise money for the Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization. The unveiling was also a reunion; in attendance was Vernon Smith, the man who purchased this car new for Diana’s use, photographer Stuart Rodgers who had covered Diana’s visit and Daniel McAleer, Diana’s designated chauffeur. During this reunion a collection of personal photographs, un-published by the media, were brought forward by the attendee’s. Many of the photos were of Diana and this Rolls. The car has been featured twice in “The Flying Lady”; a magazine dedicated to Rolls Royce and Bentley Motorcars plus mentioned in People Magazine.
|199?/200? Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph Owner: Lord Mayor of Westminster|